Monday, June 15, 2009

New Body


I am obsessed with the promise of a new body. I'm not totally dissatisfied with the body that I have; however, the idea of getting a new one is more than a bit intriguing to me. It is amazing to me how very much advertisement is directed that this exact desire. Creams for wrinkles, diets for weight loss, gym's for muscle building and physique, to name just a few. I am not personally drawn to the idea of patching up this body, or making this body look so much better than it is. It is an adequate vessel and I could certainly care for it more than I do. That, however, is exactly my point.
I'm tired of this body that continually needs sleep and food. I get bored with being sick, and I have no patience for headaches, aches, pains and soreness. I dislike how fragile these bodies are. A bit of moving metal can finish them off forever. The pleasures that this body offers are nice from time to time, but I find that very few of them seem to be more than a foreshadowing of some greater pleasure to come. Needless to say, I find it quite stunning that we get so easily wrapped up in thinking that these bodies are the beginning and the end of what's going on here. These physical shells can become the focus of our whole lives. This can happen either by denying these shells (exercise, diet, discipline) in order to feel good about how we look, or by stuffing them and polluting them with every pleasure we can get. We may strive for some balance between these two, but that is simply not enough for the longing of my soul.
I'm on the "New Body Plan." You see, my Heavenly Father has designed a new body for me that will be fit for eternity. The measurements are all made and the vessel is all set and put together, I'm just waiting for that call that it's time to dash over to the shop and pick it up. I was reading some of the specs on this new body and they are impressive. No weeping, no pain, no fear, no death, no temptation, and fully loaded with all the options: endless energy (based on perfect community with the Source of all energy), climate control, clear purpose and reason (to glorify God forever), and much more! I'm excited to get that new body and appreciate the total comfort of knowing that my body will one day be fully in line with what God created me to be.
In the meantime, I am thankful for the loaner that I've got out from the dealership. It's way nicer than I deserve. I really should take better care, and remember to be thankful for it. However, it is important to the balance of life on this earth to know that there are better times ahead, there are more beautiful sights to see, there are more beautiful sensations to feel (even greater than large burritos). Like the feeling of being totally at rest in the work of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. This Sin Nature within me plagues me like and enemy at the gates. It is constantly out to spoil my day of resting in what Jesus has done and get me off the track. It is, without a doubt, the most wonderful thing that I will soon have no other urge flowing through my system than the desire to love, know and please the Lord more and more.

1 comment:

  1. So true! The loaner from the dealership is a funny way to think about our bodies! I don't like the aches and pains either and I admit to WAY too much obsessing about my girth! Thank you for a great post!

    ReplyDelete