Monday, August 3, 2009

Pitch a Tent


For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 Cor. 5:1

There is so much in the way of things to make this body better. Things to make it look better, things to make it feel better, things to make it work better. Some good, some bad. From the Lord's perspective our bodies are only tents. Temporary structures that are erected with the purpose of being mobile. There is so great a temptation to view the tent as a building, something that may just last forever. That's not something that these little tents are not capable of. I suppose we wouldn't get wrapped around the axle so often if we saw things for what they were. Our bodies aren't only referred to as tents in Scripture, but also earthen vessels. They can only be made valuable by the treasure that someone has placed inside them.
The physical world is beautiful, and it shows God's glory and artistry, but when the time comes to fold up this tent and move into my real Home, you won't hear me complaining. I love the feeling of a nights sleep in a nice comfortable bed after a few nights of sleeping on the ground. I love the feeling of soft sheets again, the feeling of not sliding down hill. I love camping, but it also makes me love home. How much greater the comparison when this "tent" goes down and we get to rest in the warm and comfortable Home that is prepared for us there? I am sure we will all look back and share stories about all we learned when we pitched tent in the Shadowlands, but I don't think one of us will want to give up the comfort of our home to do it again.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. Yes our earthly bodies are good little vessels. They hold what is holy and spiritual and lasting. We desire to get comfortable in them, but somehow we just can't, because we have such a higher and unseen purpose. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What truth. Your writing makes me feel hopeful. I can't really explain why, but reading your TRUE TRUE TRUE thoughts makes gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete