Friday, February 26, 2010

Only Believe


"As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, He said to the ruler of the synagogue, 'Do not be afraid; only believe.'" Mark 5:36 (NKJV)

How many of the days do I need to hear the voice of Jesus boldly proclaiming these words? He said them to a man who was very powerful, but just found himself to be utterly powerless. This man had just received the word that his daughter had died. I have never had news that bad in my entire life. My bad days consist of things not working out to plan, people not being as kind as I would have hoped, or my own bad attitude. I don't know how I would have reacted to the confidence and care of Jesus saying these words to me in spite of the tragedy setting in. I can only imagine that the look in the eyes of our Savior was rich, tender, compassionate and full of confidence. Each death must have cast his thoughts back to the Garden of Eden where man first chose his plan over God's perfect plan. Where man first dared to doubt God's goodness and care. This is the result.

It reminds me of other words that Peter later wrote, "Cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you." Another way to bring this last clause into English would be, "for you are His charge." The Lord takes responsibility for you and for me. The reminder to you and to me is that we never need to be afraid, we only need to believe in He who has taken responsibility for each of us.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Rom. 8:28 (NKJV)

1 comment: