Monday, September 6, 2010

Jesus is your...

I have a Bible promise book that I treasure. Of course there are countless little volumes like this that aspire to give the reader a quick "at a glance" view of some applicable verses in any given situation. I have several volumes like this that I have received or collected over the years, but this one especially I appreciate. Most of the promise books I have seen jump right into the situations, verse prescriptions for every problem presented in a: "take two of these and call me in the morning" fashion. This promise book (God's Promises for Your Every Need, Word Publishing) starts with 16 chapters entitled "Jesus is your..." These are the 16 chapters that contain only Bible verses filled with Christ's character and care for us, along with a few of the verses referenced in each section:

Savior
Titus 3:5-6; 1 John 4:14; Ephesians 2:4-5

Lord
Philippians 2:9-11; Romans 12:1-2; Romans 14:8

Love
Romans 5:8; John 3:16; 1 John 4:7-12

Peace
Isaiah 26:3; Ephesians 2:13-14; Romans 5:1; John 14:27

Forgiveness
Ephesians 1:6-7; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Psalm 103:12; 1 John 1:9; 1 John 2:1

Righteousness
2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Corinthians 1:30; Philippians 3:9

Deliverer
Isaiah 61:1; John 8:32, 36; Romans 8:2; Romans 6:22

Fellowship
1 John 1:3; 1 Corinthians 1:9; Revelation 3:20

Example
1 Peter 2:21, 1 John 2:6; Ephesians 5:1-2

Companion
John 15:15-16; 1 John 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:9

Brother
Matthew 12:50; Hebrews 2:11; Romans 8:29

Guardian
Psalm 3:3; 2 Thess. 3:3; 1 Peter 3:12-13

Security
1 Peter 1:3-5; John 10:27-29; Romans 8:38-39

Sufficiency
2 Corinthians 9:8; Philippians 4:19; 2 Corinthians 3:5

Fulfillment
John 6:35; John 4:13-14; Romans 8:32

Everything
Romans 8:37; Ephesians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 1:21

This is only a small sampling of the verses. After reading these chapters (the first 50 or so pages of this little volume) I wondered what the need for the rest of the book could possibly be? Jesus Christ IS the answer. If I am struggling in life it is because I have taken my eyes off of Him. If I remain Christ centered there is nothing that I cannot endure. If I can be convinced to become self centered I am destined for a tumble. I would encourage you this week to roll these terms around in your mind. Look up the verses. Notice these statements are sure, not contingent. "Jesus IS your..." not "could be", "might be" or "will be". This is His grace gift to you as part and parcel to the Saving relationship that you entered into with Him when you placed faith in Christ for Salvation. Roll over these qualities and trust Christ to be all of these things to you, as you are in Him.

I never was terribly handy. In our first home I had to adhere one piece of wood to another. Having no drill I had to drive the screws in by hand. It took a great deal of time and sweat to get the screws in place. The saddest part of the story is that very soon after the job had to be redone...with a powerdrill. How often do we sweat, work, and exert ourselves to get some thing done while Jesus stands over us saying, "You know I am going to have to undo all that you are doing before I can fix it." Even our best intentions result only in loss. We need Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Amen brother. And thank you for the list of verses...I have saved them and will print them off later. God bless you Bradley! Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that: You know I am going to have to undo all that you are doing before I can fix it.
    So comforting.

    ReplyDelete