Monday, October 25, 2010

A Lamp Unto My Feet

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. - Psalm 119:105

If you are like me (and I know I am) this verse brings to mind the great song that both Amy Grant and Rich Mullins performed (written by Grant and Michael W. Smith). Catchy melody + great word = a song that I won't forget! What a fantastic revelation that the Scriptures are to be a lamp to our feet, and a light to our path. This may cast our thoughts to the nature of ancient lamps. You may find some pictures of such oil lamps here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_lamp. It is interesting when we consider our "light-polluted" world how dark the night can be without all of the street lamps and neon lights that are currently in place.

Yet imagine the small flame that these little lamps could provide. Could it be much more than a candle flame? When the Psalmist revealed to us that the Lord's word is a lamp unto his feet, the image was of a circle of light that would have only illumined the few feet immediately in front of the one holding the lamp. Compared to our modern flashlights, spotlights and headlights we may not find much comfort in this image. However, the Psalmist did pen it in comfort and trust.

When plagued with big decisions, or a crisis we so often look to the Lord for an immediate solution, cure or answer. We scour His word to find out why this is happening, or what is going to happen if I make this decision. Yet the Bible doesn't always give us the assurance of knowing what the next half mile will hold, it only tells us how we should take our next few steps: in faith. The Bible gives us the wisdom to make the right decision, however the right decision may not be the most comfortable. We must then act out in faith realizing that we only need to concern ourselves with the next few steps - our Comforter with us, our Savior before us, our Father above us

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. And I now have a lovely image of myself holding a gentle oil lamp to light my way forward in life, rather than trying to see miles ahead with a big powerful flashlight!

    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad! I like the Charles Dickens story about the lamplighters poking holes in the darkness.
    I love YOU!

    ReplyDelete