Monday, April 3, 2017

The Joy of Friendship

A friend loves at all times,
And a brother is born for adversity.
Provers 17:17


Technology often changes the way that we use words.  One such affected word is the word “friend”.   A person who is connected to another person on Facebook is called a “friend”.  Yet, true friendship is a deeper thing by far.  A true friend is defined here as one who loves (desires and acts in the best interests of another regardless of the cost) constantly.  Many of us find in our worst trials and difficulties of life who our real friends are and who was merely hanging around for their own benefit.  Each time I read these words I am inspired to express gratitude to my true friends and inspired to be such a friend.  Yet, the most powerful thing about this verse is what was recorded later in John 15:15: “No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends for all things that I heard from my father I have made known to you.”  How well Mr. Scriven has put it: “What a friend we have in Jesus!”

No comments:

Post a Comment