Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Omniscience


O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
2You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
3You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
4For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.  Psalm 138:1-4

The thought that God knows all things is likely quite familiar.  After all, if He is God, it stands to reason that He alone has the capacity to know all things.  There is no twist ending to a movie, nor a mystery that God needs to untangle…he knows it all.  But the focus of this passage is personal.  David takes great comfort in knowing that God knows more than just his actions…but God knows everything that David will think – and long before David thinks it.  God knows where he will go, and God knows exactly what David is going to say…long before he says it.  Two points…God knew everything you would think, say, and do long before He saved you and yet He chose to send His Son Jesus Christ to save you anyway.  There are no surprises for God that will throw off His salvation for those who know Him by grace through faith.  The second point is this…God wants to know about your thoughts, he knows what you will say, but waits to hear you say it.  The God of the universe knows all about you, and he is interested in you personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment