Monday, June 28, 2010

Religion vs. Relationship

"No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."

I have know idea who said it first, but I am thankful. I do know that I heard Pastor Dick say it most recently, and I am still thankful. This is the quote the blesses me each time I hear it, "The Faith of the Bible is about a relationship, not religion." In the context of this quote religion is defined as being a set or rules or ordinances that one must follow to please God. I am so thankful for the fact that what God has been after throughout the history of His interaction with humanity has been a relationship with His creatures (us). Yet, we are so often fooled and bamboozled by the world, our flesh, our old ideas of who God is, and what He is about.

The reality of the negative aspect of this statement (not religion) is often more greatly emphasized than the positive aspect (the relationship). We may be tempted to miss the reality of the relationship that we have been given in Christ Jesus. This week I would encourage you to read John 15:15. The Lord Himself has called us His friends. The proof of this friendship: He laid down his life for us. Additionally, He has made known to us what He is doing through His word, and sealed us with His Spirit that we might understand. All by His grace. Not because of anything of value in us, but because of His character which is loving, gracious and merciful. This is the intimacy and closeness that the Lord has invited you into. Do you have anything you need to bring to your Friend today?

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God to prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
(Joseph M. Scriven)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, thank you! I just popped over to say 'hi' after seeing your comment on your Granny Pom Pom's blog! :) She's the best. :) God bless you.

    ReplyDelete