Monday, April 11, 2011

Risky Faithlessness

Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:11

Imagine a person jumping out of an airplane. He has a parachute strapped to his back and is jumping with a friend. The friend screams, “Pull your rip chord! Release your chute!” to which the first person says, “I don’t trust my parachute!” He then begins furiously flapping his arms like wings, and consequently plummets to his death. This is exactly what Christians do when we try to do battle with our sin nature on our own power or might. We ignore what Christ has already done for us and then wind up as a messy spot on the spiritual pavement.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. That is brilliant. What a clever way of putting it! And aren't we all prone to it sometimes? I know I am. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great illustration, though I keep imagining that Wii fit game where you are the bird and have to flap your arms to land on the bullseye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tina - Thank you! I am a spot on the pavement pretty much daily! :)

    @April - You crack me up, my lovely! I guess it works better in the game than in the spiritual reality!

    ReplyDelete