Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Fear of the Lord


The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
Fools despise wisdom and instruction.  Proverbs 1:7

I remember as a young child getting to go water skiing in the St. Louisa inlet in British Columbia.  There was a trilling moment when I fell or dropped the rope.  I couldn't see the boat and I was in the largest body of water that I could imagine.  A thrill overtook my stomach.  I felt so small in comparison to the vast ocean.  The ocean is too big for me to consider.  It is this reverent feeling that helped me understand the fear of the Lord.  It is a question of understanding how great, how might, how power, how entirely "other" is the Lord.  When we grasp, to whatever degree that we can, that reality then we are able to learn.  Short of that realization of God at the core of our being we become only fools.  Might we come to the word that we might learn "the fear of the Lord." Psalm 34:11

No comments:

Post a Comment