Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Tongue


Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit. 
Proverbs 18:21

A careless word can do a great deal of damage.  It is remarkable how much trouble a quick tongue can cause.  Whether we open our mouth to be funny, or to defend ourselves we need to measure our words carefully.  James wrote truly when he said, "So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!" (James 3:5)  It has been said that a simple word is like an arrow that reaches its target the moment it leaves the bow of our mouth.  I cannot count how many situations in my life would have been improved had I remembered James' words: "This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger..." (James 1:19) To date I have never had to apologize for a thing I didn't say.

No comments:

Post a Comment