Monday, May 15, 2017

Interesting Perspecives

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
But the LORD weighs the hearts.
Proverbs 21:2


We must never forget, as humans, the incredible power we possess in not seeing what we choose not to see.  Whatever the situation it is so easy for us to self-deceive and choose to believe that what we want is somehow the right thing to do.  This is why so many human conversations are simply confirmations of the idea: “I was right to do that, wasn’t I?” However, we justify our actions it is important to remember that we may be able to fool others, and we may be able to fool ourselves – but the Lord is not fooled.  Even our most elaborate justification is empty before Him.  1 Samuel 16:7 tells us: “But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."  At first this is a bit unnerving – terrifying even – when we consider our subtle and deceptive ways.  But it ends with great freedom.  The Lord is never deceived and He still loves us – we no longer need to attempt to deceive ourselves to run from humility and truth.  It is with this understanding that David would boldly pray: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I like that. It's good to be searched. I love YOU, sweet son.

    ReplyDelete