Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Grace for the Moment


I am overcome with the fact that Jesus always meets us exactly where we are chronologically (which is always right now!). The future caring for itself we can only rest in Christ at the moment in which he has us. I have had a number of beautiful moments this week that I would like to share.

1 - April had gone to the store and I was watching the kids. Finn played happily on the grass and Cadence danced around like a Whirling Dervish with the tree branch she found pretending to be a dryad. Suddenly (as she is often wont to do) she collapsed to the pavement cutting her finger and knee. This brought on the melt down that one would expect. As we all piled in the house to doctor her painful casualty Finn decided he must be held as he was upset by the shrieks of Cadence's great pain. Pugsley used the opportunity to escape out the front door while I dragged in all of the accessories of being out of doors (bubbles, blanket, rattles, toys, guitar, etc.). Of course Cadence did not want me to tough the scrapes that she had aquired and fought me to clean with alcohol, apply Neo (duh da da da da da) sporin (duh da da da da da), and then stick on a feel good sticker (band-aid). Once this painful operation had been drawn to completion screaming was about to reach it's zenith. And there I sat with two screaming children on my lap, one in pain the other in confusion. As I balanced on my usual beam between anger and despair I recieved the grace to look up, laugh and say "Jesus, I really have nothing left and the screaming is a bit much!" Then the miracle happend: The children did not stop screaming! Five minutes later I was still thankful to be rocking these two screaming babes of mine and smiling about the fact that even in these simple "young" years when problems can be solved with band-aids and silly tubes of cream that
claim to relieve pain (but really do not), I couldn't be more thankful for these little ones who constantly remind me that my love is not enough, and I must trust in Jesus for the love, peace and patience I need.

2 - Working on the hard woods. Running sanding machines was by no means a life goal of mine. Scraping off old finish with a hand-scraper even
less so. Over the last two days, as I have been toiling, scraping and sanding I have been overcome with the peace and joy of Christ. I'm thankful to know exactly where I am supposed to be right now. Thankful to be doing something productive with my hands. Thankful to be working with my two brothers whom I love and whom I can always count on to point me towards Jesus. Thankful for the joy of sweating and bringing forth a product that will serve someone well over the next decades of their lives (with proper care and maintenance - use only bonakemi products - jk). What a blessing to have a place to be like this, being able to move my body and pray for my loved ones. Right at the mome
nt I'm in.

3 - Driving in my car is not something that I have ever REALLY enjoyed. I've never really been one of those "I'm just going for a drive" kind of people. However driving to and from work has been a great ministry to my soul. I look around and see the people around me hurring about like ants bringing their crumb in quickly so that they can repeat the process and am thankfull that the commute is just more time to commune with my Savior. Not a wasted moment.

Sitting with my kids, listening to them talk, chat, smile, laugh and play, what is left to say? How great, truly great is the God we serve? How wonderful to be indwelt by Christ and know that our Savior cared enough to be with us every moment, giving us the love, hope and peace that we need to give to others. I'm blessed beyond reason, I can hardly sleep, there is too much for which to stay awake.

4 comments:

  1. You are not a good sleeper. I remember so many moments of complete chaos when you guys were little. I love how you looked UP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with pretty much everything you say, I am left speechless. What a delight to follow your blog. You are so brilliant and so humble. I feel like I've been blessed by rich sermon(s) by reading ALL of your posts. Keep writing and blessing all of us with your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great play on words in your title! Love it. Love your reflections. Simple and Deep pools. Love the pics as well!

    ReplyDelete