Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Public Journal


Granted, no one would have thought that the internet would become all that it has become, but even still it seems to have changed our entire outlook on life. It seems that there was a time when a journal was meant to be private. People would even go to great lengths to keep their private thoughts private yet still have the feeling of confiding in someone or something (being a journal, diary or something of the like). When I was young I would see those ever perplexing creatures, girls, running around with diaries with locks. Later years showed little electronic diaries that were heavily password protected. It seemed as if there were so many secrets to be kepts. There were so many little private thoughts that people wanted to keep hidden from view, yet none of them were really interesting at all.
Now it seems that between blogging, facebook, myspace, and everybody having their own webpage the opposite problem is coming to light. It seems odd that it wasn't so long ago that I heard about kids wanting to hide too much of their lives and not reveal the things that they really should have confided in a parent or friend. Now it seems that people (kids especially) are exposing far more than they should of themselves on various internet venues and entering themselves into a far more dangerous world of annonymity. All from an apparent desire to be known and admired. Tragic. We can share our thoughts with people around the world and next door. Share all the pictures, and access information that was never so easy to find before. Yet, we still wind up feeling so lonely and unloved that we go to great measures.
All that being said, here is my online diary. I identify myself as one who is greatly loved by Jesus Christ. To be fully clear I am loved by the whole Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). The three-in-one God of the Bible is a perfect community of Persons who has no need of me, but loves me anyway. That is the point. I am known and loved fully by Him, and one day I will behold Him face-to-face and I'm excited for that day. In the intrim I behold Him through the Bible, I behold Him through prayer, I behold Him by loving others with the love and strength that He alone can provide.

1 comment:

  1. Even though it is so common to share too much or too often, it doesn't always seem as if the intimacy that is craved, is received. Sad. We want to be known, but it isn't the same as achieving fame. Fame is shallow, but knowing I am known is miraculous.

    ReplyDelete