Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Identification and Train T's

Finn is just plain crazy for cars and trains. Nobody told him to be crazy for them, he just loves them. Most every outfit he wears has either a car or a train on it, including pajamas. One of the most difficult things I have to do in a week is to convince him to take off one train outfit for another. He just loves being identified with trains. It is so strange! He is too young to think about advertising for Thomas the Tank engine, and isn't really old enough to think about any desire to be professionally involved with them. He just loves trains. He can't even communicate why he loves them (as he is only 2 years old!).

So aside from cuteness why do I mention it? As humans we do long to be associated with what we truly love. Band T-shirts, bumper-stickers, hobby clubs and interest meetings, sports jerseys regularly turn big profits, and even posters for rooms and fences. We like people to know what interests we define ourselves by. As I write this I am wearing a t-shirt with my kids screened onto the front! (Thank you, April!) So what is the point?

I am not suggesting we all get more magnets, bumper-stickers and t-shirts with Christian messages on them (I'll let you make your own decision about those). I AM suggesting that we remember our close identification with Jesus every day. Finn can't wait to put on a new train shirt, what a great example for us. How thrilling that each day we are found in Christ! This wonderful garment of love, peace, hope and joy. We are to abide in Him, rest in His care, and believe that we are loved beyond our wildest imagination. Are you excited to wake every morning because you are identified, by His grace, with Jesus Christ, the source of love, joy and life? I hope you are...it is wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great reminder. Now that you used Finn and his train obsession as the example, I can't look at him and remember to be identified with Christ today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to imagine the brown cloak of humility and I like connecting that to the wonderful garment of love, peace, hope, and joy.

    ReplyDelete