Monday, September 13, 2010

Pooh-line Theology



If I had to choose a favorite literary character it would undoubtedly be Winnie-the-Pooh. I have loved A.A. Milne's children's tales my whole life and have continually enjoyed them. And I think there is a very good reason why. Remember the time that Pooh and Piglet were tracking a woozle? As they walked around the spinney in the snow they continued to rediscover their own tracks thinking that they were chasing a whole pack of "woozles" and "wizzles". Finally, Piglet runs home and Christopher Robin comes down out of the tree, having watched the whole thing. After Christopher Robin explains things to Pooh we read:

He sat down and though, in the most thoughtful way he could think. Then he fitted his paw into one of the Tracks...and then he scratched his nose twice, and stood up.
"Yes," said Winnie-the-Pooh.
"I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he, "and I am a Bear of No Brain at All."
"You're the Best Bear in All the World," Said Christopher Robin soothingly.
"Am I?" said Pooh hopefully. And then he brightened up suddenly.
"Anyhow," he said, "it is nearly Luncheon Time." So he went home for it.

This is one instance of what happens in nearly every chapter of Milne's masterpiece. Pooh finds his entire identity, value and importance in Christopher Robin. Though he has been proven "Foolish and Deluded" he wastes no time with his own embarrassment. All self-centered thoughts are wiped away Christopher Robin's evaluation of him. Isn't that grand?

Brothers and Sisters, have you been back to find how your caring Lord sees you? Read John 10; Ephesians 1:3-14; Romans 8; and 1 John 4:9-19. Then answer the tough question. Do I believe it? Do I trust in His power, His ability, His character, to love me like the Bible says?

Jesus Loves Me this I know...For the Bible tells me so.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it. I've tried to find so many woozles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great Bradley. I studied these Scriptures last night, reading them aloud. Just what I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete